Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good news on the job front! An interview AND an email expressing interest! Things are looking up!

I've spent a lot of the past few days putting together a short essay, a critique of a website, and a marketing plan for a site as part of the application for a fellowship position with that site. It really makes me wonder exactly how many applicants for that position got the follow-up email asking for those materials. It sure would be an easy way to get a lot of really good feedback and ideas for your company, to put applicants through a process like that. Lots of companies pay a lot of money for detailed feedback. Clever! I hope that my efforts won't be for not. It sure is a lot easier to write essays and do tedious MS Word projects when you don't have to go to school everyday.

The last time I applied for a job and was asked to write an essay to be considered for the "next round" I submitted my essay (during the middle of exams while I was still in college) and never heard back from the company. Maybe one day when I am feeling especially heartless I'll publish the company who did that on this blog. For now, though, I'm sure there was some kind of "internet glitch" that prevented me from getting that "sorry, we're just not that into you" email. Yeah. Internet glitch. Jerks. It took them over 3 months just to review the resumes.

When hanging out with my friend C yesterday we talked about how we used to code our own websites and blogs and basically own the internet. We both knew enough about html and style sheets, etc that we could make pretty nice looking websites. Well, she was telling me that she was trying to edit the template of the code for a new blog and that she didn't understand what much of it meant. This is exactly what has happened to me, too! It's so insane that in the past 5-6 years all the coding for the internet has changed so much. I mean, I guess it's not insane, but there are so many new programming languages that we decided it really wasn't feasible to teach them to yourself, as we had done in high school. Kind of disappointing. I considered going to school for web programming- but always thought I could just teach myself anything I really wanted to know. Haha... WRONG. Here I am on blogger with a regular, standard template. Oh well. I guess I could use my old skillz to make a site if I really wanted to. Though they were very simple, they worked.

I just baked a batch of Brownies using the Moosewood Cookbook recipe. The Moosewood Cookbook is seriously my favorite cookbook ever. I could live fine forever with just that one cookbook.

No comments: