Thursday, June 26, 2008

coconutty

So I've been craving some serious coconut since the summer heat hit South Carolina. The coconut popsicles I've been eating just haven't been cutting it entirely (although they are REALLY good). So last night I cooked up some coconut pineapple curry. My mom used to make it a lot when I was in high school and it's really easy to do. It's not really for those who don't like tastebud parties (ie- hot, flavorful food).

Here's what you need:
1 medium-sized frying pan / low rimmed pot
1 can of coconut milk (regular or light, your preference)
1 fresh pineapple (a can of pineapple also works but make sure you drain the juice out! drink up!)
1 can of sliced water chestnuts (drain these too)
1 onion (I like Vidalias if they are in season)
1 fresh green pepper
curry
cayenne (or chili powder, or crushed red pepper)
salt
1 hot green pepper (optional)
chicken (optional)

So you cut the onion and the peppers up and saute them in a little olive oil until it's all a little softer but it's all still crunchy looking. I guess if you were cooking chicken with it you'd throw that in and cook that at this point too. Then you open up the water chestnuts and dump those in along with the pineapple. Stir that around for a short time and then pour the coconut milk in. Cut the heat to medium and add the curry to taste. I use a lot- my curry is yellow like the sun on the Teletubbies. Then I add the cayenne to taste (wait for it, it's a slow heat) and some salt to taste. Let that simmer for a little while. That's basically it- serve over rice and you've got some delicious yellow curry! Watch out for the hot green pepper, though. That will curl your hair.

Next up: Tahitian Coconut Bread. C gave me a recipe she got in Hawaii when she was on vacation with her family. Then maybe some Coconut Milk Sticky Rice with Mango? Homemade coconut popcicles? I better get off the computer- another one of those afternoon thunderstorms looks like it's going to rumble the city for a while.

No comments: