Friday, July 2, 2010

I'm getting blown away.

For the past week I have gone from feeling woozy and sick to a full on epic cold.  I've never had a cold in the summer before.  You don't get to curl up under a blanket with hot tea.  Also- there is no long sleeve to wipe your nose on.  I've been lying on top of the bed in my underwear just hoping the snot and coughing and sneezing will stop.  It should also be noted that when you're about to sneeze but can't is comparable to really bad sex.


The city relaxed on the summer heat and it has been glorious.  Today I opened the window and let the cool air in all day.  This evening the neighbor dogs were having fits.  They sound really small, the barks are high pitched and seem to not be aimed at anything in particular.  It is really obnoxious.  In between the dog fits one of the dog owners was playing his guitar and singing.  He played some Led Zeppelin and other classic rock favorites, stopping only to chastise the dogs by saying things like "if you don't stop I'm going to kill you, stop... STOP.... stooooooop!"  The last song he played was "Like a Hurricane."  


I have been spending a lot of money lately.  I've been buying Chinese pastries and a lot of Thai food.  I also bought several mangos and a couple jicamas.  When I bought the jicamas the hispanic guy who weighed them asked me how I eat them.  "I eat them plain, just raw" I said.  He said he likes them with salt and lime juice and chili powder on them.  I think I will try that when I do eat them this time.


I've been eating so many mangos that it makes me have an allergic reaction on my lips.  Did you know Mango sap has urushiol in it, the same chemical that causes such terrible reactions to poison ivy?  I'm usually fine and only have a mild reaction if I don't scrape the peel with my teeth or gnaw on the pit (both things I used to do).


I bought tickets for a great adventure next weekend.  I am so lucky to have the friends that I do.  It's like the bus driver that says "Have a blessed day" - thank you bus driver, I do feel blessed.

No comments: