Monday, October 27, 2008

happy birthday homeless man, I got a free facial

Another busy day in DC town. Work kind of sucked, partly because of the cold and wet weather (wind chill of 39 degrees? what is Winter like?) and partly because my supervisor can be ridiculous. But it was ok because thanks to Slickdeals.net I found out about a free mini-facial that the Origins store is doing! I made an appointment last week so today after work I went and had my first ever (mini) facial. It was GREAT. And the sales scheme WORKED because now I want EVERYTHING in the Origins store. Did you know their products are all natural, contain no petroleum based ingredients, contain no animal products, and are NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS?!!! So no cancer and no blind bunny rabbits at Origins!! So... that's why it costs so much I guess. Ugh. I'll hit up ebay and see what I can do. Forget clinique.

I was still feeling great from having someone rub my face with nice smelling things when I was walking to the metro and I saw this one homeless man who is always at this stop. He is in a wheelchair and I saw a woman give him some money and I saw him smile really big. Then I saw a little handwritten sign that read "Today is my birthday, I am so blessed!!" and I immediately started digging around for any cash that I had to give him. It was really touching- and I have seen this guy at this metro stop several times. He had a little portable heater plugged in next to his wheel chair today.

Beyond the homeless birthday man is the table where people aggressively get you to sign up for absentee voting. In the past I've just seen the volunteers shouting at all the rush hour metro people to sign up but today... today there was a woman playing a guitar and singing into a mic some song that she was making up on the spot that basically consisted of: "Going to be out of the county on election day... vote absentee .. vote absentee... avoid the lines on election day... vote absentee... vote absentee.... make sure your voice is heard... vote absentee ... vote absentee..." it was irritating and endearing at the same time.

On that note, today I mailed my absentee ballot off to North Carolina where hopefully it will be put to good use in turning North Carolina blue. I got off the metro at Union Station to go home and put it in a mail box outside of the post office. I had a hard time letting it go, it was so unceremonious, not at all like real voting. I wanted to shout afterwards I JUST VOTED, I VOTED EVERYONE! But I didn't. Voting is so special and exciting. I was especially thrilled to vote in Union Station. I'll never get sick of Union Station.

When I got home I made some dinner (E is back!) and then the guy from the yard sale where I bought the two framed pictures brought them over! They are beautiful- I'm very pleased. This weekend, once the Halloween festivities are over, I will hang them up.

Tomorrow is another big day because it is the annual DC Drag Race. Apparently all the drag queens in Washington all come to Dupont Circle the Tuesday before Halloween and parade up and down 17th street and at 7PM there is a HIGH HEELED DRAG QUEEN RACE. I'm there.

1 comment:

thadmoore said...

It's cool that DC has, y'know, stuff to do, as opposed to Columbia. Anyway, it's cool that you voted. It's something that I'm looking forward to... big time. Hopefully, I'll get to reelect Obama for my first election.