Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall Timez

I really should update this blog more. I have so much stuff going on- there are many things worth blogging about every day!


Last weekend I went to Loudoun county for my friend M's birthday. She has a pet cow named Earnest and he is super huge and cute. We also got lost in a corn maze (corn maize haaa) for over 2 hours. It was the perfect weekend for enjoying Fall outside of the city! The weather was cool and crisp and perfect for the Loudoun Farm Color Tour, which was how we knew about the corn maze and some other stuff we did.

This week I saw another mouse in the metro, near the tracks. In New York City I saw the HUGE subway rats that thrive off of the plentiful food trash everywhere. The DC metro is much cleaner then the NYC one, so I guess the big rats can't survive off of the meager offerings that the mice can. I am going to be a subway rat/mouse for Halloween and I'm excited. Cute little mice. I can't believe their whole existence depends on the litter in the metro system.

On Thursday night my new friend T and I went to see Josh Kornbluth's (of Haiku Tunnel fame) latest one-man monologue called "Citizen Josh" at the Area Stage in Crystal City. It was very politically charged but not just a big rant by any means; it is a narrative of a man and his interest in politics and how it has followed him throughout his life. Mr. Kornbluth is very funny, I laughed out loud.

The Area Stage is a really cool theatre venue in Crystal City and in DC that offers a discount for anyone under 30. The tickets were priced at about $40 but for under 30 they were $10!! We found out why when we were there- all bald men and blue hairs. ha!

This week I also discovered that my checking account was overdrawn when I tried to put more money on my metro card trying to get home from work one day. I knew that wasn't right because basically I'd rather die than have to spend money on overdraft fees... so I keep really good tabs on my money. I figured out that when I bought my airline tickets to go home for Christmas US Airways charged my account TWICE. Apparently they do this often when the charge is "pending" and once the actual charge for the tickets post to your account they only end up charging once. Of course in my case with my piddly checking account (having just begun getting a paycheck and having to buy things like plane tickets for Thanksgiving and Christmas) pretending to charge it double sent it over the edge. My credit union refunded me the overdraft fees and everything worked out- but take heed, readers. Always keep at least twice the amount of an airline ticket in your account if you want to be able to take the train home. God. I had words for the US Air rep I talked to.

I inspected the building that houses the Democratic Headquarters for Virginia last week. It was AWESOME. I got some stickers and signed up to volunteer next week (I encourage all you to do that as well, especially if you are in a swing state COUGH NORTH CAROLINA). I also got my absentee ballot for North Carolina in the mail this week. Get ready Obama! I'm voting for you!! I also love you. I am super pumped for the 30 minute spot Obama bought on all the major TV stations. Obama TV everyone! Must see TV! Get ready!

Today T and I went to a few yard sales and I got two framed posters that are BEAUTIFUL! The people who sold them to me said they were from Venice. Together they were $25 total- a steal! The man also was nice enough to offer to bring them to my apartment since hauling things like that around on the metro is not something possible. After we left that yard sale we went to an overpriced thrift store and then ate lunch at a Ethiopian place- my first taste of Ethiopian food! I liked it. Tomorrow we are going out to more yard sales. Yard sailing is way more fun when you have an apartment to outfit.

I want to put something on here about The Keeper. I know it can be scary talking about menstruation but honestly, it's a part of all women's lives all the time. Even dudes should get over their ick factor and just understand that it's a part of life and it's ok. Anyway, I wanted everyone to know that there are alternatives to tampons - The Keeper is one of them and the other is Diva cup. In my quest toward zero waste I'm trying not to buy anymore tampons- I read that it is estimated that an average woman will use and throw away around 15,000 tampons in her LIFE. That is ABSURD. Especially since most tampons are made of cotton and rayon that is bleached with crap that can give you cancer, endometriosis, etc. SO GIRLS: look into using a tampon alternative! DUDES: educate yourselves, your girlfriends, and quit being so weirded out. IT IS OK.

Roommate E went home this weekend- she found a last minute deal and jumped on it. Lucky! It's quiet around here but things are about to heat up again. Next weekend is Halloween and hopefully the weekend after that I will have some fantastic visitors!

PS I love the comments. Please comment more!! It is encouraging to know that people are reading this.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I just set up an RSS feed application!! I'm really excited about this because now it's way easier to stalk every blog I am interested in.

ALSO, MENSTRUAL CUPS ARE REALLY COOL. My husband educated me! :O