Tuesday, February 1, 2011

sweet and sour

I am having a hard time grasping the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act," which also redefines what rape is. Obviously, it will be rewritten before it ever gets through, which hopefully it won't.

I just don't understand how in 2011 people still can't trust women with their own lives. People in the US like to think of the US as a leader in the world and yet we can't fund the most basic of medical procedures on the grounds that it is "immoral." I'm sorry, but I never thought my tax money was being used "morally" when it was spent on needless wars, on torture, on dictators, on capital punishment, etc etc.  When these kind of bills crop up, which they do anytime conservatives have an ounce of power, I feel like I am being threatened personally.  My thinking goes like this: because I am a woman, I can't make a good decision- if I ever were to need an abortion my health insurance wouldn't cover it simply because the government thinks it's THE WRONG CHOICE.  Well, it's not their choice to make, and forcing insurance companies to play along because of government subsidies will deny women of a right they have.  Thinking about these things makes me feel like my brain is on fire.

I hope this bill doesn't get anywhere, I haven't even gone into how it affects the definition of rape.  It will make you sick.

So to counter all this heavy duty political rage, I am so happy about the new Fleet Foxes album coming out in May.  The title track is out!  They are going on tour!

1 comment:

Grace said...

100% agree. I appreciated your fb status too . . . also, dear Lord I am obsessed with that song.