Thursday, December 4, 2008

All my friends, I've returned to sister winter

I've been overwhelmingly homesick since Thanksgiving. Partly because coming back to my job was not exactly thrilling and partly because my roommate's boyfriend dumped her on Sunday. It was really strange and out of the blue. It makes me want to just go where my boyfriend is and make sure that that won't happen to me. It is so sad!

Last night we went out to Tombs, the college bar that serves all the Georgetown students. Sometimes I forget how important and famous DC crap is- Tombs was Bill Clinton's favorite restaurant when he went to Georgetown, the bar in the movie St. Elmo's Fire was based on, etc etc. I am a fan. Apparently, you get your name on a plaque behind the bar if you go to Tombs every night for the 99 nights before graduating from Georgetown. You can miss two nights. If you miss a night, you can make up for it by staying from open to close, 10AM to like.. 2AM the next day. Sounds pretty fun. Anyway, hanging out last night with my roommate E and her brother (who went to Georgetown) and all his old friends was a lot like how things are set up in St. Elmo's Fire- they knew all the bartenders because they went to school with most of them, they knew people eating and drinking there- it was really fun. I also was introduced to Busch Light (to the shock of everyone at the table). I can't help it if I was raised on PBR. Also, there IS NO PBR IN THIS TOWN.

For all the young professionals living far away from where you celebrate holidays and anyone else who may travel- I present to you airfarewatchdog. Sign up for the email alerts and be prepared to hate every plane ticket you've ever bought previously. I know I do.

The theme music to The Office is basically the most wonderful music to exist since The Nutcracker.

More on music: I am currently listening to Sufjan Stevens' Christmas album on repeat. I must get as much listening in in the time I have during the Christmas season. I swear to God, Sufjan will make you feel ecstatically happy and feeling like you're going to cry big whale tears at the same time. His Christmas album is a mix of old favorites, traditional stuff (good stuff) and his own cute Christmas songs. Sufjan is the man. I will post some lyrics to prove that Sufjan is the man:

From It's Christmas! Lets be Glad!:

Since the year is almost out
Left your hands and give a shout
There's a lot to shout about today


Since it's Christmas, let's be glad

Even if the year's been bad

There are presents to be had

A promotion for your dad

Don't be angry don't be mad


I also listen to The Nutcracker, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and any Christmas song sung by the Jackson 5.

PS- the squirrels here are so tame!! and fat.

No comments: